Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Kids Are Alright

This idea is, for starters, a case of cryptomnesia (yes, wikipedia. sigh.) The Kids Are Alright is the name of a movie that's opening soon. This isn't my first experience accidently pirating a title; when I was eleven I wrote a short story about kids who met in a meadow to secretly practice their musical instruments. It was called Field of Dreams (I built it, and nobody came.) I digress!

This is not my most aesthetically pleasing sketch, but it's an image that came to mind when I suddenly thought about something that bothered me the first time I heard it said: Referring to somehow deviant people as "round pegs in square holes." I don't know about you, but my pediatrician's office had a game with blocks where you could indeed fit the round peg through the square hole. Circle gets the square, if you will.

Where I live, aberrant behavior is basically the norm, yet all these "outcasts" hold jobs and feel comfortable. Not to say that there hasn't been a lot of change in American thinking since the cubical mores were established (and I'm not making any prescriptions here) but the social and political structure at home and at large still doesn't seem (to me) to have bent much to accommodate difference, even though the society is more openly diverse. Why not?

The answer is pure geometry- We may be whatever shape we want but, in order to fit, we must shrink a little. Is that acceptable or deplorable? That's up to you to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment