Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Body in Conversation

The art of designing letters so that their shape (and not just the words they spell out) conveys information is "typography." The practice of representing shapes with words or phrases is a layer of meaning beyond that and, though it's something I've seen before, I cannot find a name for it.

As I've mentioned I really like sketches I can do with Sharpie marker because it ensures a kind of clarity of form and of idea. I'm really happy with with this sketch because it ended up being more layered than I originally intended. The sentence used to create the person (who is meant to be sitting in a lotus-type position) is "Who do you think you are?" but because of the fortuitous position of the letter "I" in THINK and the propensity of the backwards query to look like a "C" there are many other sentences that could be read including "Do you think I care?" and "Who do I think you are?" Suddenly we have not only a question but a conversation (although not an altogether pleasant conversation.)

Ultimately it's a sketch well worth squinting at, which pleases me. It's also a good reminder that having a creative idea is no substitute for executing one; the act of creating has bi-products that mere contemplation does not.

No comments:

Post a Comment