Sunday, June 12, 2011

Raining Somewhere


If I may be vain on one particular point- Do you see the circle that I drew freehand? I don't know that I will ever do that again so can we just marvel at that for a moment?
...
And we're back.

This is the image that came to me when I contemplated the question of whether it is always raining somewhere on the globe.

Although this is much debated on the internet, searching the query "Is it always raining somewhere?" with such helpful terms as "science," "national geographic," and "meteorological society" produces no authority greater than snopes.com .

So far, so sketchy.

The general consensus is that it IS always raining somewhere. This is thanks, in large part, to the intertropical continental zone which experiences, to quote NASA "an almost perpetual series of thunderstorms." Given so many places on earth with such a high likelihood of rain the odds against a moment's drought are combinatorically huge ("combinatorically" being a mathematical word I just learned that means, for my purposes, 'much larger than astronomically, and that's using MATH'.)

If you're feeling isolationist, you should know that the chances of a split-second dry spell in the US is also extraordinarily low, mostly because Mount Wai-'ale'ale on the island of Kauai, Hawaii has about 350 days of rain each year. As for the continental US, I leave you to figure that out. Call me when you need something circular drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment