Monday, June 20, 2011

Four Walls

This is a stylized approximation of my room (which looks square here but, at second look, is really more rectangular.) That series of levels up top is a result of me realizing I'd drawn the box too large, taken it down, taken it down again, aaaaand liking the way it looked and keeping it.

Art.

I drew "my room" because I'm sitting contentedly in it, but no sketch, however simple or intricate, could capture the pleasure I get sometimes from just being in this, my own space.

The feeling is heightened if the room is clean and/or if I'm in particularly productive headspace (these factors usually go together, though the causality goes both ways.) The only trouble with this mood is that I will do whatever I can to extend it, which sometimes means rearranging, say, a flexible work schedule so that I can stay home and do things that had otherwise been languishing on my To Do list. Though this is ultimately not a good habit, and though I occasionally feel guilty for not doing whatever I had planned, so far it's yielded some pretty good results.

I'm lucky to be a person pleased by simple pleasures so I don't feel the need to say, chase chemical highs. Some of this is from former deprecation of these easy joys- If you had told me in childhood that I would have a personal space that I could organize how I liked, trash in the mania of a project, and then have the freedom to re-organize (each time knowing myself better and better preparing my belongings to serve me) I was so demoralized at times that I would not have believed you. But *sigh* here I am.

I am very happy to say that, in part by my wonderful landlords' request, I will get to enjoy these four walls (and their almost-as-awesome surrounding rooms) for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment