Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Amazing Zoo / The A$sh*le Zebra

Today I took my roommate to the Franklin Park Zoo.
He's a big fan of zoos in general, and we had planned many (failed!) trips in the past. For my part, despite having lived in this area all of my life, I had never been to Franklin Park or its zoo. As I understand Franklin Park is Savannah & Serengeti, while Stone Zoo is more woodsy, i.e. there are no bears in Franklin Park, but there are giraffes! (I love giraffes.) Fun surprises included a wandering pair of peacocks and my new favorite bird, the African Pygmy Falcon, which I think is adorable but would probably just eat me.
As I was oggling giraffes, my roommate mentioned that the zebra was anti-social. I thought he was criticizing it for being blase about visitors, but he pointed to the informational sign which said that, in fact, Grevy's zebra (Equus grevyi) is an anti-social animal who will sooner protect its watering hole than its family. It's Burchell's zebra (Equus burchellii, also in attendance at Franklin Park) which are the pleasant pack animals we readily imagine.
After that, I couldn't get the image of the asshole zebra out of my head, so I had to immortalize him in pencil.
Go ahead. Make his day.

1 comment:

  1. That totally captures the attitude of those zebras.

    (Even though they are anatomically incapable of that in real life, but that is artistic license for you.)

    ReplyDelete