Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nothing New...


...under the sun.
When I thought of that familiar phrase, this is what I pictured.
On that subject, though, I should tell you that mine is not the first sketch-a-day blog (I'd figured as much.) Notable examples include this mechanically-centric set of sketches, and the SketchingEverday domain name belongs to this talented artist. And, of course, there's already severaly highly populated Flickr groups .
I have made peace with the fact that this is not an original idea, and that (compared to the work of others) my sketches may be, well...garbage! But I've spent so much time thinking about the things that I fear can not do, especially as an artist, that since this is something I clearly CAN commit to, then I absolutely must. I will be be deeply disappointed if sheer repetition doesn't make me a better sketch artist at the very least, but I have to face that possibility too. Even if I end up where I started, I hope I sometimes will have wandered to a higher place.
UPDATE: Insomnia led me to see this excellent quote flashed briefly across the local access channel at 3am: "If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do."
Samuel Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment