Saturday, June 12, 2010

Exerrent Kung Fu

After a long day of lifting I unwound with friends and saw The Karate Kid. It was very well done, with nice parallels to the original. Also, Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan give great performances. I forgot it was a children's movie and, from the number of adult voices cheering at the ending, I'd say so did everyone else in the theater. The great thing about going to a movie with smart friends was deconstructing it afterwards. Topics included the fact that it is an advertisment for visiting the new, world-friendly China, and the fact that the idea of a white child beating out natives at a national sport would have been unpaletable, but Jaden Smith kicking ass is much more P.C. (and, y'know...adorable.)

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I have never seen ANY of the karate kid films?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't weird that you never set out to see them deliberately, but it IS kind of weird that you were never accosted by them via T.V. (I myself haven't seen any of them all the way through.) Then again, you were very selective about your T.V. watching if I remember right. But you know a lot of the important references, right? If so, you're all set.

    ReplyDelete