Saturday, June 19, 2010

I'm With the Band

Today I went to see Jim Henson's Fantastic World, a traveling exhibit about the evolution of Henson's characters and career. To see the genius of a lifetime summarized in one room was both inspiring and daunting. After Henson, how much imagination could possibly be left in the world? How could I go home and draw anything after seeing what he had accomplished? Then again...how could I not?
The kingdoms of cartoon creatures seemed totally depleted by the Muppets today, so as I headed for work in Harvard Sq I set myself the task of doing a very quick (ink!) sketch of a band that was playing outside (or rather, of the instruments that were being played.) I gave myself only two minutes to draw what I saw, however I was interrupted at 35 seconds by a photographer who wanted to take pictures of me drawing the band! Permission was granted, and it was all very meta-artistic. I think Jim Henson would have approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment